Friday, October 23, 2009

Geekdom and TV Shows

So I decided awhile back that I didn't want to make this into a geek-blog.  I think it may have been an attempt to (A) get myself away from my constant mental fixation on things of the geek realm and (B) impress a certain girl with my not-geekness.

But hey, geekdom is, in truth, what is often on my mind, so maybe I shouldn't avoid it so forcefully.

But, that being said, geekdom is only part of my post today.

I've been watching several TV shows lately: The Office, 30 Rock, Stargate Universe, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars.  I've had rather different opinions on all four of them.

The Office:
Still funny, even if its concept is getting a little more soap operaish and less flat-out funny. Still, though, this clip may be the best thing I've ever seen in my entire life:


30 Rock:
This may be my new favorite comedy. It's dazzlingly well-written, quirky and charming as all get-out, and somehow manages to balance everything into a single visual narrative that's so entertaining that it boggles the mind.
I love this show. :D

Stargate Universe:
Eh. This iteration of Stargate is much more in line with Battlestar Galactica, which sounds good on paper. Unfortunately, it's a little boring at times. Well, most of the time, actually. It's enjoyable enough to keep watching, but it still seems to be stuck in the same place after five whole episodes. Oh well. It's definitely got potential, so I'll keep watching.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars:
So last season, my main complaint was that the episodes were too self-contained, and didn't have enough consequences for the entire overall story. Well, now we have episodes that practically run straight into one another, thus creating an interesting dilemma: the episodes don't have real endings. Now that I've got my wish, I suddenly wish that I could take it back. I would prefer it if I didn't have to wait a whole week or three just to get a complete story. Ugh.
Oh well. The animation is better than ever, and the story is definitely more mature this time around. Yay?

P.S.
Dollhouse is still weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment