Friday, March 18, 2011

Work

So. I got hired by a family friend to de-rust and re-paint an iron fence. I've been working on it for about 4-5 days a week over the last couple weeks. It's pretty hard work.



For various reasons, I've been having to get up at 6:15am each morning to go work on the fence each day. This morning, I did not want to get up and go. I only got about five hours of sleep, and wasn't at all thrilled with the idea of losing my precious 2-3 hours more that I wanted. I kept thinking up various reasons to stay home: I could say I was "sick" with allergies. I could say that I just felt bad because of a lack of sleep. The point is that, as silly as those reasons were, I probably could have used them and stayed home.
But, ultimately, I decided that going to work was the right thing to do.

So, this morning, I was out working until about noon when my allergies got so bad (in the hot sun and crazy wind) that I actually couldn't stay working outside any longer. The irony was not lost on me. So I left and went to the nearby town center to relax (indoors) for the rest of the afternoon. Through random crazy happenstance, I ended up running into a friend of mine that I hadn't seen in about three years. We talked and caught up with each other for a good ten minutes before he left, and he ended up inviting me to his wedding in June.

So, moral of the story: being lazy will not aid you in randomly meeting good friends from high school and getting invited to their weddings.
I learned something today.

No comments:

Post a Comment