Sunday, March 1, 2009

Marvel


So today I'm in a Marvel comics mood. I don't know why.
For many years I slightly despised Marvel and their universe, despite enjoying many of their stories. It's only now that I've spent a good amount of time reading comic trades that I've started to become rather fascinated with the Marvel U.

It's true that the MU has a ton of problems, most notably the fact that they falsely believe that their heroes must be constantly broken in order to be interesting. However, their current comics have an extremely deep focus on character development. Ed Brubaker is probably the best character-based comic writer out there. I casually read through a trade of The Immortal Iron Fist and was enthralled, despite having had no prior knowledge of the character (I know, I'm lame).

I just read Secret Invasion, and was unimpressed. The lead-up to SI was perhaps too much, and the event itself was totally unsatisfying. I would have rather had the God-knows-how-many-issues that tied into SI dedicated to simple character-building stories. But oh well.



I've been really into the X-men lately. I'm highly considering buying the "40 Years of the X-Men" DVD so I can read through their entire history.
I've decided that I don't hate Wolverine anymore. Just FYI. I think he's okay. I wish I had claws. :(

Oh well. Time to sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment