Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Star Trek: The Last Generation

I've been marathoning Star Trek: The Next Generation over the last several months. I'm now on the seventh and final season. It's a really weird feeling.

ST:TNG premiered in 1987; I was born two years later in 89. So, with my dad being a huge Trek fan, I was born into and raised in TNG. It really had a huge effect on me. The reason I have a relatively voluminous vocabulary (as opposed to most others my age) is because of Star Trek. The way I think and solve problems is in some ways determined by growing up watching Star Trek.

The interesting thing is that since TNG comprises around 176 episodes and I've never sat down to watch them all in order before, I've only caught reruns here and there over the years, but never seen it all. There's always been another episode of TNG for me to see; some new corner of the final frontier that I've not yet glimpsed. But now I'm actually at the point where I will have actually seen all of it. Like in some ways, a chapter is closing on my childhood.

At the very least, I have three more Trek series (DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise) to work through, so there's another solid 450 episodes for me to watch.

And I suppose the message of Star Trek is that there is always some new unseen frontier; some new event on the horizon. There's a new Trek movie out next year, with some vague plans for a new series as well. I suppose for the ending of every chapter, there's always the beginning of another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment